Westbrook has procedure on knee; status for opener in doubt
- James lifts Lakers, burns Heat with 51
- Warriors' slide at 3 after loss to Spurs
- Lillard scores 40 as Blazers top Wizards
- Gasol, Conley lead Grizzlies past Wolves
- Gordon, Magic extend Knicks' skid to 5
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) Thunder All-Star guard Russell Westbrook underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his right knee on Wednesday, putting his availability for the season opener against the Golden State Warriors in doubt.
The team says Westbrook decided after suffering from inflammation in the knee this past weekend that he'd have the procedure. He'll be re-evaluated in approximately four weeks, close to the season opener at Golden State on Oct. 16.
Westbrook was the league MVP in 2016-17 and averaged a triple-double last season for a second straight season. He averaged 25.4 points, a league-leading 10.3 assists and 10.1 rebounds last season.
Updated September 12, 2018