Devils sign 1st-round pick Ty Smith to 3-year contract
- Kadri nets 3, Leafs push Caps' skid to 7
- Struggling Oilers fire GM Chiarelli
- Saros stops 47 as Predators top Vegas
- Habs edge Coyotes in Galchenyuk's return
- Staal scores 2, Wild defeat slumping Avs
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) The New Jersey Devils have signed first-round draft pick Ty Smith to a three-year, entry-level contract.
General manager Ray Shero announced the signing Monday of the defenseman who was the 17th overall pick in the recent draft.
The 18-year-old Smith had 14 goals, 59 assists and a plus-44 rating in his second season with Spokane of the Western Hockey League. His assist and point totals were the second highest in the league among defensemen. They include a franchise-record seven points (2 goals, 5 assists) in a game in February against Prince George.
More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/tag/NHL and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 20, 2018